Projector screens can be pretty expensive, depending on the size and quality you're looking for. If you're thinking of installing one and want to save some money, you can build a pretty decent one yourself with just a few simple materials. Redditor dodgeboy made this 128" DIY projector screen for only $200, and I have to say it looks pretty impressive.
Poplar 1x4s make up the frame, with pine 1x3s as supports.
Once the frame was assembled and painted black, he installed mounting blocks on both sides to hold it in place and compensate for any gaps between the frame and wall.
Next, he stretched spandex over the frame, trimmed off the excess, and put on a felt border.
After mounting, here's the final product:
I, for one, would never guess that this was homemade! If you'd like to build one of your own, check out dodgeboy's step-by-step guide for more details.
Already have a projector screen? Try hacking an old-school overhead projector into a digital video projector or using your iPhone as a projector. If you don't have a screen, you can also use Screen Goo to turn almost any smooth surface into a screen.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades