There are plenty of times when we need to charge our phones but don't have access to electricity. Whether the power is out do to storms, you're camping and run out of juice, or you're in a Tom-Hanks-like Castaway situation, it's important to have a charged phone in case of an emergency.
So how can you get a charge without good ol' electricity? With fire! In the video below, famous tinkerer Kipkay shows you just how it's done. Skip below for the written steps.
You'll most of this stuff lying around or easily accessible (except maybe the first one in the list).
- 1 Thermoelectric Peltier Generator
- 1 empty coffee can
- 1 metal hanger or bendable rod
- 1 phone charger
- 1 large hose clamp or wire
- Power drill
- Utility knife
- Soldering iron
The build is actually fairly straightforward and simple.
- Remove the label of the coffee can and cut a 4-inch square on the side of the can.
- Drill two holes on the side of the can—about 3 inches apart—then drill two more holes on the opposite side.
- Bend the hanger into a U shape and pull it through the drilled holes on each side.
- Drill five or six holes on the bottom of the can, all around, for ventilation.
- Take the phone charger cable and cut off the USB connector, then take the red and black wires and solder them to the thermoelectric peltier generator.
- Take the hot side of the thermoelectric peltier generator and attach it to the coffee can using the hose clamp or wire (if using the wire, be sure to tighten it very well).
- Put the kindling into the coffee can and start the fire, then plug your phone in and wait for the heat to build up.
- Charge that sucker!
If there's no way you can use the fire technique, you can always try a hand-cranked flashlight, which Kipkay shows off in an older video.
- 1 hand-cranked flashlight
- 1 car charger
- Soldering iron
- Take apart the shell of the flashlight.
- Cut off the end of the car charger that plugs into the AC socket, then solder the red and white wires to the two button-cell battery contacts.
- Be sure to drill a hole at the bottom of the flashlight to fit the charger cable, then put the flashlight back together.
- Plug your phone in and start cranking!
Neither of these methods will charge your phone particularly fast, but they'll do the job. And the next time you BBQ, outfit your grill as a charge station, just make sure those devices don't get too close to the heat.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades