If you're breaking a sweat in the summer heat, but not trying to break the bank, this dead simple trick will show you how to make your own air conditioner for under ten bucks.
- 1 styrofoam cooler
- 2 dryer vents
- 1 small fan you've probably got lying around
- Place the vents on the lid of the cooler on each side and trace them on—get as close as possible to ensure a snug fit.
- Place the face of the fan in the middle of the lid and trace that out as well.
- Cut out the traces with a knife, making sure to cut on the inside of the lines for the fan, so it has something to sit on.
- Place the vents into the holes.
- Clean up excess styrofoam pieces as they will fly all over the place once you turn on the fan and get the air conditioner going.
- Place the face of the fan on the lid.
- Place ice-filled bottles or bags into the cooler.
- Fire up the fan and enjoy the cool breeze!
For an added bonus, anyone up to the challenge can also create a USB powered mini-AC as well!
- 1 small box
- 2 PC fans
- 1 switch (optional)
- Cut two holes for fans in the box, one each for intake and outtake.
- Put the fans on top of the holes and seal them with hot glue.
- If you plan on using a switch, attach the two fan cables and both red wires to the AC connections (usually in the center).
- Attach the black cables to the ground connection.
- Seal it all together with hot glue.
- Take a USB cable and cut off the end, then snip off the green and white wires (not are for data, we only need the power).
- Wrap the red and black wires to a 9-volt battery connecter (red on red, black on black.)
- Add ice into the box and plug it in!
Boom! Now you can stay cool without worrying about an overpriced AC unit or crazy energy bills. And remember, ice packs are much easier for cleanup, and their reusability keeps everything environmentally friendly.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades